Adrenal Fatigue and Chiropractic Care
By Dr. Thompson
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
It is a collection of signs and symptoms, known as a syndrome that results when the adrenal glands function below the necessary level. Most commonly associated with prolonged stress it can also arise during or after acute or chronic infections, especially respiratory infections such as influenza, bronchitis or pneumonia. As the name suggests its paramount symptom is fatigue that is not relieved by sleep.
Every chiropractor understands the importance the autonomic nervous system (ANS) plays in stress, and which adjustments enhance balance, decrease nervous tension and produce relaxation and calm. By addressing adrenal fatigue in stressed patients, chiropractic can achieve deeper changes that increase patient well-being, vitality, and the ability to handle stress.
Begin by listening for the common signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue:
- Difficulty getting up and being fully awake in the morning, even after a full 8 hours of sleep.
- Caffeine is often necessary to get going and stay going.
- Energy lows occur mid morning and/or mid afternoon.
- Increased energy from 6 P.M. (dinner) to around 9 P.M.- often feeling the best of the day.
- Experience a second wind from 11 P.M. to 2 a.m.
- Most refreshing sleep from 7 to 9 a.m., given the opportunity to sleep in.
- Crave salt or salty foods.
- Often also exhibit many sign and symptoms of hypoglycemia due to cortisol’s role in gluconeogenesis.
- Difficulty in bouncing back from stress or illness.
Much can be done to help chiropractic patients with adrenal fatigue, even when the severity is so great that they cannot hold down jobs or function well in daily life. The core effective treatment is a combination of lifestyle and dietary modifications plus specific dietary supplements.